Appetizer to Dessert, accompaniment or stand alone, fresh figs are versatile and such a treat…and low in calorie, about 60 cal per 3oz, rich in fiber and minerals but also calcium, they are healthy and succulent…please see below ideas on how to enjoy fresh figs when available in the summer and early fall months;
- Cut in wedges and wrap in parma ham, drizzle with a aged balsamic vinegar, serve an elegant hors-d’oeuvre
- Cut in halves, place on a baking sheet and top with Gorgonzola and a drizzle of olive oil, roast at 400F for 8 minutes. Serve on a plate with all the pan juice and sprinkle with fresh chopped mint..enjoy as an appetizer or cheese course with a nice crisp green salad
- Cut the figs almost in half from top to bottom but still attached at the base, sprinkle with sea salt, fresh or dried thyme, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and roast for 10minutes at 400F, serve as accompaniment to grilled Pork Chop or Pork Tenderloin.
- Mix in quartered fresh figs to orange segments, arugula, fresh goat cheese and walnuts for a satisfying beautiful salad.
- Make a raspberry sauce, mix fresh ricotta, mascarpone or créme fraiche with a bit of honey to taste and stuff the figs, drizzle with the raspberry sauce for an elegant and sweet ending dessert